Monday, June 6, 2011

Location, Location

I know staying in the same town, doing the same things, and never straying from what is comfortable are obvious barriers to personal growth--but that leaves a lot of room for interpretation when it comes to figuring out the best way to a satisfying life, at least for me.

For example, what does it say about me that I am once again living in my hometown? Is it okay as long as I am finding new ways to spend my time? Of course, it can be difficult to stray from familiar patterns (especially when you're once again living under the same roof as you did when you used to have temper tantrums,) but there are ways to make it work, aren't there? Or am I forever doomed to be ill-adjusted to the world by (more often than not,) surrounding myself with what's familiar?

Is moving away/ constantly forcing yourself into new surroundings at any cost, the best answer? I've read that our personalities are basically fully formed by the age of 18. Maybe that's scary to me... that the way I am is (for the most part,) the way I'll be, and I am in some way holding off on having to deal with others' impressions of me when I could just as easily stay where everybody knows my name (Cheers, anyone?)

It seems to me, especially with the internet becoming so much a part of our lives, that maybe location isn't everything, after all. I mean, if we're spending all of this time online anyway, then what real reason is there to move elsewhere? Well, jobs I suppose, but that's a whole 'nother one of my never-ending philosophical dilemmas....

No comments:

Post a Comment